The Normans quickly recognised this prominent vantage point and strategic site to build a huge timber fortress here by 1100 AD. It was originally built by Robert de Toeni (later known as Robert of Stafford) in the Norman period and Stafford Castle has dominated the local skyline for over 900 years since.
The site itself extends to over 26 acres and consists of Keep, inner bailey, outer bailey, woodland, herb garden, visitor centre and car park. The Keep is open to the public during Visitor Centre opening hours.
The Visitor Centre has an audio-visual display telling the history of the castle; hands on items including arms, armour and costumes; a timeline to put the history of the castle into a national context; a display area with a changing programme of exhibitions and exhibits; and the opportunity to try your hand at coin minting and brass rubbing.
The Visitor Centre shop offers a wide range of gifts, souvenirs, traditional toys and local crafts and we stock a large number of local history books. Also on sale are ice creams, chocolates and soft drinks.
Outside the centre, visit the fragrant herb garden and discover what herbs were used for in the medieval period.
The Centre brings Stafford Castle to life – The interior is designed to encourage a ‘hands-on’ approach to history emphasising an element of fun. A collection of artefacts from archaeological excavations is on display and guides are pleased to answer your questions on the castle and its site. There is an audio-visual area with film narrated by Robert Hardy explaining the history of the castle. The layout is in the style of a Norman guard house. A scale model of the motte and bailey castle shows what it may have looked like in 1100 AD.
Throughout the year, Stafford Castle host a diverse programme of events ranging from historical occasions to family fun days. Since 1991, the castle has acted as a backdrop for performances of Shakespeare’s plays, there is also a school and group tour programme and occasional themed tours, talks and workshops.
There is disabled access to the visitor centre and toilet facilities (RADAR).